Monday, March 17, 2014

Catching up


SOOOOO, since I didn't write an email last week lemme fill in some gaps.

Hna Earnshaw is now home in Utah after a medical release. I have since moved out of my permanent residence in Arleta, my temporary residence with the Wiley Canyon sister training leaders, and my emotional residence in President Hall's house, and into NoHo 4 with Hna Evans and Hna Rodriguez!
At first we were all a little apprehensive about being in a trio, but then we realized that we all really like each other.

Rodriguez on the left, Evans on the right.

Our second night together as we were finishing up nightly planning, Hna Evans asked if either of us had seen The Woman in Black. No, we said. Actually, I once watched the first 15 minutes but then I got too scared and ran upstairs and did homework hahaha.

So then I (I stands for Idiot) ask "What happens in it?"

AFTER WHICH Hna Evans proceeds to tell the full story of Woman in Black.
She is a HOOT, I tell you. She's from Florida and is half Polynesian, but she thinks she's black. So her storytelling involves a lot of "Nooooo stop everything!! So Daniel Radcliffe be all looookin out into the marsh--- and then he's all... What- the- CUSS?"

Naturally, I am SCREAMING bloody murder this entire time. Hahahaha Hna Rodriguez is updating the area book and I'm like "Stop- you have to hold me." I fling my body underneath hers as she's trying to update potentials or whatever. Hahahahhahaha probably not the most spiritual way to end the night but seriously, that was one of the funniest things that's happened the whole time I've been out here. Whatever-- at least I didn't swear.

SIDE NOTE: "At least I didn't swear" has become one of the best tricks in my book. I developed it when I was in Reseda to trick my companions into saying nice things to me hahaha. For example, let's say I make a dangerous turn while driving. I see in my comp's eyes that's she's about to say "YOU'RE CRAZY; ARE YOU TRYING TO GET US KILLED!??!?!?"
But then I beat her to it and I smile and say "Whoops! That was close! At least I didn't swear!"
THEN YOU HAVE TURNED the issue from my bad driving skills to my commitment to clean language. And then they have to say, "Good job, Hermana. Way to not swear." Hahahahahahhahaaha

ANYWAYZZ here is my new address so you can keep that fan mail a-coming

2535 N Buena Vista
Burbank, CA 91504

So, Hna Rodriguez has on CD this compilation of Elder Eyring's Act in All Diligence (priesthood session 2010; I just looked it up) talk with that Jeffrey R Holland missionary/salvation is not a cheap experience talk. It has them talking with this good piano music in the background. It's the most inspiring thing I've ever heard. I'm going to copy/paste you some of Elder Eyring's remarks, but just imagine it all slow and dramatic with him kind of crying and the music intensely building at important moments.

“Wherefore, now let every man learn his duty, and to act in the office in which he is appointed, in all diligence.
“He that is slothful shall not be counted worthy to stand, and he that learns not his duty and shows himself not approved shall not be counted worthy to stand. Even so. Amen.” 
We are to learn our duty from the Lord, and then we are to act in all diligence, never being lazy or slothful. The pattern is simple but not easy to follow. We are so easily distracted. Studying the daily news can appear more interesting than the priesthood lesson manual. Sitting down to rest can be more attractive than making appointments to visit those who need our priesthood service.
When I find myself drawn away from my priesthood duties by other interests and when my body begs for rest, I give to myself this rallying cry: “Remember Him.” The Lord is our perfect example of diligence in priesthood service. He is our captain. He called us. He goes before us. He chose us to follow Him and to bring others with us.

This evening I remember Him, and it stirs my heart. This is the Saturday night before Easter Sunday, when we remember His Resurrection. I remember His example in the days before.
From the cross on Calvary, the Savior announced, “It is finished.” Then His spirit left His body, and His mortal remains were placed lovingly in a tomb. He taught us a lesson by what He did in three days in the spirit world, before His Resurrection, which I remember whenever I am tempted to feel that I have finished some hard task in His service and deserve a rest.
I close now with this counsel to the Lord’s priesthood servants. Ponder deeply and diligently in the scriptures and in the words of living prophets. Persist in prayer for the Holy Ghost to reveal to you the nature of God the Father and His Beloved Son. Plead that the Spirit will show you what the Lord wants you to do. Plan to do it. Promise Him to obey. Act with determination until you have done what He asked. And then pray to give thanks for the opportunity to serve and to know what you might do next."

Seriously, so good.

P.S. This area is awesome and we have a billion new investigators. So, my prayers to be able to find people were answered, just not in the way I expected because we couldn't get like any new investigators for 2-3 weeks because Heavenly Father knew that Hna Earnshaw was going to go home and that area was going to close so what was a trial became a huge blessing and now I'm trying to just work hard and be a good companion.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOOXOXOXO
Hna Simpson

P.S. Again. When we were up in S. Clarita last weekend we went to ENGLISH CHURCH it was the craziest- everyone gets the gospel!!!! It was the best thing ever. Also, so much less stressful when you aren't taking care of any investigators hahahhaa.

OKAY LOVE YOU <3333333


No comments:

Post a Comment