September 16
This week's email is short because there's just not that much to say.
The big news from this week would be that Christian got baptized! Everything went fine. He was a little nervous and we were pretty nervous, too, because honestly it's not like we know what we're doing, but he wore a white shirt to church and his dad even came so everything turned out well.
That night as we were about to call him he sent us a text asking how to pay his tithing, so sweet. Baby bird is spreading his wings. And this ward is so great at being supportive (and also, harassing him to go on a mission and the boy doesn't even have the gift of the holy ghost yet people, please!) but he's going to do just fine.
Now we have to get some more solid fechas with people, because the "always finding, always teaching" thing is a lot easier said than done. Next time we'll know haha.
Um, yes. On that note- Dad, thanks so much for the 17 points cd. It's so interesting because it's so different from the way Latinos accept the gospel or gain a testimony. Spanish is so emotionally based- in everything. But don't worry. I'm pretty good at dropping people. Because I don't want them to be held accountable for things they aren't willing to do, but also because I am your daughter, and our brains work alike.
Another highlight from this week was visiting the Goveas, menos activo parents with active kids, and their neighbor (who in Spanish I would call "borracha" and in English I would call "woman whose brain has been addled by years of drinking and probably drugs as well") came over to use their microwave or something. They are so nice to her. Anyway, she called both of their sons Joseee (note: neither of them are named Jose) and there was one point when she had swimming goggles on to see if they fit her head. She pretended to swim around a little bit and Hna Husdon and I almost lost it.
Found out on Sunday we get to watch the RS broadcast in two weeks and I am unbelievably excited. I don't know why I though we wouldn't. But General Conference is just around the corner and I can't wait!! It's like Christmas.
Love you, Miss you,
Hna Simpson
September 23
This week...... I had the flu, so we spent most of it inside, and I spent most of it sleeping :)
Mom, yes- crazy that 6 months is here already- and yes, I will be sad when I leave this area. I know there's a good chance it could happen next transfer. I think you always love your first area the most, much in the same way that parents always love their fistborn child the most.
OKAY WANT SOME ADVICE ON MISSION CLOTHES?
I have given away so many of the shirts I brought and it is remarkable to me that even though my closet is empty, there are things I never wear.
1. As much as possible, shop for mission clothes AFTER you have gone through the temple. You think you know what will work, but you just don't.
2. Buy some of those half-tees to wear under things. Utah moms know what's up.
3. The ideal skirt has an elastic waistband, pockets, and hits just below the knee (to not be too long to ride a bike in.) You may see some sisters on the Dress & Grooming website in pencil skirts; this is false doctrine. Or they are just in car serving in a white ward and is that even a mission? haha j/k.
4. Do not take anything you want to keep after your mission. Let Forever 21 be your peak, and Goodwill (or DI, Salvation Army, etc.) be your stable base.
5. Get a watch, and get a watch that is small and loose enough that you will not have a fat tan line. (Since boyfriends and boyfriend jeans are off-limits, I don't know why I thought boyfriend watches were okay. They're not.)
6. Make sure the shoes you buy are cute enough that you can wear them every day, but also comfortable/supportive enough that you won't give yourself knee problems. There is a balance here. I have two pairs of the exact same Clark shoe, but you know what? It works.
7. Forget the accessories. Leave your jewlery and scarves at home, unless you are going to Russia in which case jewelry is essential. But you get what I'm saying.
8. Maybe this is just me, but a wear-everywhere windbreaker is an invaluable resource. Better than sweaters because it's less bulky.
9. Okay, we all know that backpacks are illegal. There is only one loophole to this rule, and that is (a) being a sister missionary (b) with a nice leatherish side back that DOUBLES as a backpack. Invest in this. It is worth it. I promise you.
10. Sheer shirts are in- but just know that you are always going to have to layer a whole 'nother shirt underneath... so think about that twice before you buy. (Again, buying clothes after you've been through the temple is SO helpful because lots of fabrics are thinner than they look.
So, in other news, things are good. I'll send a picture of Christian's baptism. What that really taught me is how little the role is that we play in people's conversions. We don't change anything or anyone- they do the work themselves when they pray fervently, read the Book of Mormon, and come to church. You can't do these things and not gain a testimony; conversely, you can't not do these things and gain a testimony. Conversion happens behind the scenes in everyone's life. As missionaries, we do nothing. We simply invite and the Spirit does the rest.
Something Latinos are really good at is appreciating their talents and using them to help others. I think a lot of times in white culture it's considered rude to admit you have a talent- but I think perhaps if I was a little less proud and a little more grateful, I would "deny not the gifts of God, for they are many." I would thank my Heavenly Father for things I am good- but not the best at, and then as I recognized those things, I could be more of a blessing to others.
Things to think about.
Missions are the weirdest, the craziest, and so precious.
Everyone be good
I LOVE YOUUUU!!
Hna Simpson
No comments:
Post a Comment