Monday, September 30, 2013

Man, I love October!



1. A menos activo in our ward who came to church these past 2 weeks!! We teach him at this little table/secret garden behind his house- he is the cutest. He always has cold water bottles for us and always has his guitar out so after we finish the lesson we play two or three hymns on it. Because "I know what it's like to want to play the guitar and not have access to one." It's always my tender mercy of the day. Hna Hudson shreds.


2. Christian (who we found out ACTUALLY spells his name "Cristian"- that should hve been
obvious. rookie.) was SO HAPPY to be baptized!! hahaha no, Latinos just never smile in pictures. men or women. so weird.
(WML baptized him and that's Christian's dad in the middle)



This week I had to buy hair mousse AND acne cream at the grocery store. Being poor is so annoying. I have decided this is the real reason I am going to law school: so that I can spend more than $30 each week on whatever I need. This week Hna Hudson and I also bought some real laundry detergent, aka that did not come from the 99cent store. I am hoping it will help our clothes smell clean next week hahaha. When I get home, I will also splurge on things like Tide.

I also feel like I am telling you the same things every week. Our schedules are also pretty much the same: morning studies, lunch, going out and seeing people, dinner, more lessons. After being here for 5 months there's just not a ton to say. We dropped a lot of investigators this week- and were expecting to drop one but then ended up having a really good lesson with them and their 13-yr-old daughter seems the most legit out of them all. Just need to find her a friend in the church. So far we haven't been able to set baptismal dates with anyone but we've been asking!
We're also working with a lot of menos activos in the ward as well- haha at least half the ward lives in our little area.

Linds wrote me a letter this week updating me on the various boys in her life. That was the first letter she's written me since I've been out here and it just made my week haha.

I liked what Annie said about being exactly obedient. This week I also decided that was something I wanted to focus on and be better at- exact obedience. Sometimes it's easy to get complacent, especially when your companion feels like a normal friend instead of a companion. It takes a lot of mental focus. Something else I'm working on that really helps me is to pick a scripture each morning, and then ponder on that scripture throughout the day. It keeps me grateful.

The Relief Society broadcast was good! AND it turned out last minute that we get to watch it in English! This Sunday I bore my testimony for the first time and we taught the beginning of the 3rd hour class, helping members to be missionaries. It was so fun. Our ward is so good. We helped the ward create a new ward mission plan, and they chose to set a goal of 20 referrals per month. We are tracking this goal by taking over one of the display cases and and building a giant ice cream sundae with each scoop of ice cream representing a referral. If we make our goal, we will have an ice cream party at the ward FHE which is held the first Thurs of every month. I'm very excited about this.

This week, when we ate with a family in our ward they wanted to watch "On the Lord's Errand," the video of Thomas S. Monson's life, during dinner. To be honest, I wish we would have just said no, because it was an hour long and I don't think we are really supposed to, even though it was produced by the Church- BUT, it was very good, so you guys should definately watch it haha. So inspiring. It makes me even more excited for General Conference. It makes me want to strive harder to put the Lord first in my life. If I was home, and if I had any friends at home who weren't members of the Church, I would totally want to invite them to watch the Sunday morning session of General Conference.

 Today we ate lunch at a place called "Norms" and played soccer. I tried slacklining for the first time. It's hard. Slacklining is where you have a flat rope tied between two trees and you have to balance and walk on it. I consider it a hipster form of exercise haha.

Right beside Norms there was a Family Fall Fest going on- they had haybales set up with pumpkins. 
Man, I love October. I think it is by far my favorite month of the year.
We joked yesterday about tracting Halloween night and seeing what we could garner....
but really I think we have to be inside early that night.
No candy for us.
Boooo.

I want Mara to marry Elder Linford from my MTC district. He's in our zone now and we just love getting to have him around.

I'm antsy to find new investigators.

I miss running the neighborhood at night with Tyler, and I'm sad that when I come back I'll still have to wait for him for a whole YEAR!

Also, Hna Hudson and I promised ourselves that we would tell our families to just make sure that the missionaries in their wards always have somewhere to eat on fast Sunday-- because on Sundays you're out of food anyway, and then fast Sundays are just double trouble haha.


That's about it. Love you. Praying for you.

xoxo
Hna Simpson

No comments:

Post a Comment