Thursday, May 1, 2014
Helping Hands
Yesterday, at the end of a sacrament meeting that seemed even longer than usual-- (side note: who knew that as a missionary it STILL almost kills me sometimes to sit through 3 hours of church???)-- I leaned over to my companion and said, "All of our investigators stink. Let's go find some new ones who don't stink." (needless to say, none of them had made it to church that day.)
SOME BRIGHT SPOTS INCLUDE:
We gave the district meeting training, which turned out pretty well. We did indeed, make the elders do the "What did your companion do well today?" role play-- which they kind of tweaked so it was less "I love you" and more "let's set some goals", but whatever. Boys will be boys.
Been studying a lot how Faith = WORKS. Like, faith is important but having faith involves moving your bum and DOING stuff! I'm in 3 Ne right now and feeling very validated.
Had the weirdest miracle ever where this old homebound couple I was trying to get us to not have to visit anymore got a new caretaker. (After it was kind of our fault the old one left but not really! She just came and started listening into our lesson and got all offended about the Book of Mormon! And then she mysteriously left the next morning....) ANYWAY new lady is super nice and LOVES the Book of Mormon so we can only teach her once a week, but she is the cutest.
We taught her the first lesson and at the end she was like "Well, Do you worship Joseph Smith? And we were like We Worship Jesus Christ! And she said "Yes, I know this now- I had heard that Joseph Smith was like God to you but now that I listen to you I know that yes, you worship Jesus Christ." She just said it in the cutest way; email doesn't do it justice.
With the old couple we sing a song, read a chapter in the Book of Mormon, talk about it, sing another hymn. One person has to sit by the Hermana, who is bedridden, to help hold her books and tell everyone when to stop reading. Knowing that old people are NOT my forte, I avoided responsibility as long as I could.
Finally, last week Hna Evans was like OKAY Hermana, it's your turn.
The plus side is, I don't think I will ever have that job again because the lesson went up in flames hahahaha. Let me paint a little picture for ya.
We finish reading Jacob 3. I thank everyone for reading, then say VERY clearly and slowly how I love verse 2 and reread it, pointing out how we can receive the pleasing word of God.
Hermana: Do you want me to read it?
"Um, sure. Verse 2."
She reads it, then gives me a look.
"WELL, AREN'T YOU GOING TO SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT?"
Okayyyy... I try to wrap this puppy up, and just end with inviting their new caretaker to come to church with us on Sunday, because it's her off day.
"Okay Hermana Graciela, the church is on Glenoaks and Nettleton.'
Hermana:
"WHERE IS THE CHURCH??"
HERMANA, IT'S ON GLENOAKS.
NO, BUT WHERE IS IT?
GLENOAKS! (I am literally shouting in her face.)
Hermano pipes up:
BUT WHERE IS THE CHURCH?
IT'S ON GLENOAKS.
Hermana:
NO NO, I MEAN WHERE IS THE CHURCH? WHAT STREET IS IT ON?
GLENNN OAKKKSSS
Literally this continued for 2 minutes solid. Hermana Evans was in tears.
Hahahahahhaa I don't know why this is the bulk of what I decided to write this week.... but there you have it!
ALSO this Saturday we did a river cleanup! These hands love to help. Also, we got the best granola bars and Tshirts from it. Perfect pajama shirt without the 4+ years of washing and wearing that a t-shirt usually needs to get to that point. I'm very satisfied.
<333333
xoxxoxoxoxoxo
HNA SIMPSON
P.S. Forgot to tell you, last Monday we ALMOST GOT FAMOUS aka we stumbled upon some rappers shooting some music video in Valley Plaza park, of all places. Hna Evans was FREAKING out but I was a little too white to be able to recognize and appreciate it all. But I took pictures of all the trailers! (And then we moved our Easter egg hunt to another park hahahaha.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment