So, contrary to what I've been insinuating thus far, missionary work is actually not the worst thing in the world.
It's just, sometimes really hard. Sorry if my letters have felt too vent-ey or complain-ey. I will try to work on that, but probably the truth is that in four months, I will just genuinely like everything a lot more hahaha.
Time for.... MISSION STATS!
FAMOUS PEOPLE I LIVE NEXT TO: 3. Omg, guys. some missionaries have crushes on other missionaries. I have a crush on the dancers who live next door to us. They are so nice and Jake Koddish, our neighbor, my best friend, DANCES FOR DISNEY CHANNEL. DISNEY CHANNEL! If only I could explain that DC is the pinnacle of my family's existence. (Linds Tori Meg, you should youtube him and tell me if he's good haha) We're all "hey Jake how was your weekend? and he's like great! I was in Vegas dancing at the Billboard Awards. do you know music people? like, do you know Chris Brown?. Jake. Do I KNOW Chris Brown?????
so there you have it. I have a friend who is friends with Justin Bieber. check that one off my bucket list.
FAMILIES WHO WANT TO BE BAPTIZED: 1
This was the best night ever. We taught them the first night I was here- a less-active mom and her two kids and her boyfriend. I felt that her 16 yr old daughter, Clarissa, wanted to be baptized but I was too scared to ask because I had only been there for a few hours, didn't want to step on my companions' toes (sometimes 3 people is complicated), etc. But last week we taught them the Restoration using the cup object lesson (you RMs know what that is) and it was so. good. We had the ward mission leader with us and it was so good. They are going to be baptized!! Now all we have to do is figure out how to get them to start going to church hahaha. Commitment, commitment.
PICTURES I HAVE TAKEN SINCE BEING HERE: 5
PICTURES I HAVE NOT LOOKED DISGUSTING IN: 0
If I have time, I'll send you some. If not, don't worry because you are missing nothing. Don't judge.
The people here are from all over South America. Lots of Mexico, lots of El Salvador. So we get a mix of everything in terms of language and of food.
TIMES I HAVE EATEN CACTUS: 1
TIMES I HAVE EATEN PAPUSAS: 2
TIMES I HAVE EATEN IN & OUT: 2
TIMES I HAVE EATEN WEIRD CHICKEN SOUP FOR BREAKFAST: 1
TIMES I HAVE ALMOST HAD A PANIC ATTACK BECAUSE PEOPLE LEAVE THE EYEBALLS ON SHRIMP AND FISH AND THEY ARE STARING AT ME DEAD ON THE TABLE: 3
TIMES I WISH SOMEONE WOULD JUST GIVE US A BOWL OF CEREAL FOR DINNER AND CALL IT GOOD: 17
DOPPLEGANGERS I HAVE SEEN OF PEOPLE IN THE MTC/ CALI WHO REMIND ME OF PEOPLE I KNOW IN REAL LIFE: 89
Among them are:
Hiram Jacob- guy in my mtc district
Rachel Scudiere- instant bff english sister serving here
Justin Billings- guy in our apt. complex whose wife is from El Salvador. She's helping us with our spanish. They are a really nice family with a 2 year old daughter. I hope the Billings are doing well!! I think of and pray for you guys all the time.
###
Dad, thank you for sending me Ordella Parks' address. I actually wanted to write her in the mtc but had no way to do so. So inspired- good job! I am so, so eternally grateful that she brought the gospel to our family.
THANK YOU FOR THE PACKAGE!!! I got it this morning. We will be moving to a new apt on June 15 (allegedly) to Apt. #412.
Currently, our address is:
6385 Laurel Canyon #408
North Hollywood, CA 91605
But the mission office is always a safe address to send things to. We get mail from there once a week, so probably the week after you send it.
JUST SO WE'RE ALL CLEAR: Writing me letters is a service. When you do service, you get blessings. So if you want more blessings, you should write me a letter. <333 #andthat'sthegospeltruth #missionariescan'tlie #i'mnotsaying,i'mjustsaying
So... I know you just sent me skirts for which I am SOO grateful and excited!! But... if in the future you wanted to send me some more things... you should include in that box the yellow journal that Maggie gave me, and my teal One Line a Day Journal that is probably on my bookshelf. <3
How are Maggie and Bryan doing?!? I have been thinking about them lately. They are so nice.
SPIRITUAL THOUGHT:
Ether 2:7
And the Lord would not suffer that they should stop beyond the sea in the wilderness, but he would that they should come forth even unto the land of promise, which was choice about all other lands, which the Lord God had preserved for a righteous people.
At this point, the Jaradites had already built barges and traveled so far. They had even built containers to hold water with fish inside to take with them. They basically pulled a Noah. If it were me, I would have thought the journey was done by the time they got to the other side of the sea.
But the Lord wanted them to go farther because he had a bigger vision for them. They didn't know what the Lord had in store. Sometimes we think that we've gone far enough, and then the Lord asks more. This isn't because he wants to push us just to push us, like some power-tripping high school coach. When he asks more of us, when He asks us to go farther, it's because He has a specific destination he wants us to reach. His vision is bigger than ours. Like 1 Corinthians says, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for him that love him.
Be good, everybody. Love God. Go love your neighbors.
<333
Hna Simpson
P.S. Are my emails too long? These computers at the lib are funny and you can't tell how much you're writing. My bad!
LURVE YOU
No comments:
Post a Comment