Thursday, May 2, 2013

No but seriously, did April even HAPPEN?!?!


Hey you!!!

Things are good! I get to see people I know all the time- which is just so fun. Sister Voyles this morning and Tyler Schuch on Sunday night! So fun!

HHAHAHAHA ALSO. Guess who we just saw. You know the blonde guy from the district with the companion who was the beautiful soccer player but he would never stop talking? The blonde one was the quieter one. ANYWAY just saw him and French Eric as we were coming back from the cafeteria- and we started laughing sooo hard because yesterday we had just watched the video clip where they teach the law of chastity, and the blonde guy says VERBATIM:
"So Corianton, he broke the law of chastity. He.... [pause]... broke it." Hahahaa and then his companion is trying so hard not to laugh hahaha.

Also, disclaimer: the MTC makes you crazy because normal things that would not be funny, here they make you cry and fall down on the floor like suddenly your bones disappeared. I recognize that this story is not THAT funny- but the plus side is that we're having a real good time.
Our district is great. I am firmly convinced that if you are in the MTC, you either hate us or your are part of us. There's really not a lot of wiggle room. Haha the other day at lunch I was sitting by Sister Jessalyn Homer and she and her comp. were speaking in Cambodian THE ENTIRE TIME and I was like wow, I am super impressed. What is your district like? And she's all, "Oh they are just the best- the most hardworking- and they are all on missions for the best reasons- so focused, etc. What's yours like?" And I'm like, "We... we have lots of fun." We are the worst district and the best friends in the whole MTC. We eat off each other's plates and every day we just get weirder. Quiet dignity, I know. They all graduated high school the same year I graduated college. It's normal.

To help us try to focus more during class, whenever we start talking about something really good, we write it on the board so we can talk about it at our next meal. One of my favorite days was when on the board we had our Food for Thought column with the topic of  Emotions and Crying. hahahaha someone later added NASA/Space Camp, if I recall correctly.

I have been thinking a lot about the future lately. I know the advice here is Don't worry and quit thinking about yourself because it's not about you! But the truth is that this week we've finished up teaching all our pretend investigators and I haven't been worrying per se, just musing about the future now that it's more set in stone. I think my greatest worry is that I'll serve hard and do good on a mission, and then I'll jump right into law school and turn into a self-centered monster. Honestly. That would be really easy to slip into. I want to know how the changes that happen here transition over into "normal" life after the mission. Crunch on that and then tell me, various friends and family members. I don't know how you can go from serving 24/7 to not serving anymore- it just doesn't feel right. I'm just not sure how you go about doing that.

I am getting a billion times more out of my scripture study here than I ever did at home. It's just, it's so good. It takes a lifetime to learn. I feel like I'm getting answers to things I hadn't even asked for and getting a hundred new questions every day. There's just so much to learn. I love that.
I got my hair cut again today super short. It will grow- I just didn't want to have to deal with it for a while. It was pretty long. There is no greater feeling than never having any hair on the back of your neck.

I NEVER SAID LAST WEEK BUT THANK YOU FOR THE PICTURE LETTER FROM WASHINGTON D.C. FRIENDS!!! That was the nicest thing. HAHAHA when I ran into Natalie Dance it was at the health clinic and Hna Hudson had the flu so we were wearing these SARS masks and so when I ran up to Natalie it really freaked her out for a second hahaha.

This Sunday I was asked to give a talk in Spanish- you prepare them before and then they just announce you on the spot. It went well, actually. I had prepared well (fyi- you can't write a talk and then translate it. you have to write it straight in spanish. not like that's a rule, it just like doesn't work. you express ideas differently- especially considering our limited vocab. I AM SO SORRY FOR NOT MAKING A BIG DEAL OVER THE FACT THAT PRACTICALLY EVERY RM I KNOW HAS LEARNED A LANGUAGE. As it turns out, 97% of what I thought I knew about missions, missionaries, and missionary work was inaccurate, so my bad.
BUT the talk was good. I finished and then kind of went off script, bore my testimony, etc. There was a really peaceful spirit there during that part, at least that's what I felt. It was comforting.
Teaching pretend investigators (our teachers acting as investigators they taught on their missions) is good- but still so scary when you knock on the door to teach a lesson. Haha I don't know if that feeling goes away or not.

I like watching those Bible videos in Spanish.

I like getting to go to the field outside for gym, hallelujah.

Hallelujah is one of those songs that some people think is appropriate to sing in the shower because it mentions some Biblical characters and terms. I am one of those people. Really though- when you cut out all the songs that talk about bad things, have bad language, or romantic overtones in any way, you know what is left? NOTHING. a couple folk songs. a little disney. a little white christmas and les mis which FEELS spiritual so I count it for MTC purposes. So you're welcome Tori- still going strong on Red & Black. Also, whenever I hear someone play Clair De Lune I think of you.

FACTS:
If you whisper Spanish it sounds like Parseltongue, if you want to creep someone out, that works really well.
In Spanish, the Sound of Music is called The Rebellious Nun. Hello band name.

I'm kind of terrified to ride a plane and instead of napping having to be a real missionary and talk to people in English about the gospel. Not like teaching people in California, just riding the plane and having to sit by a stranger and be all "sooo.... the book of mormon?" Terrified. I try not to think about it much. Since I'll have to give up Hna Hudson I hope I get a native spanish speaker who will force me to speak it. Haha we're all in for a rude awakening.

OKAY AND HERE IS THE DEAL: We are probably leaving on Monday so EVERYONE, YOU HAVE 24 HOURS if you want to send a dear elder- because they don't print on Saturday or Sunday and on Monday we'll leave before 3. So DO THAT and tell me about your life!! Dear Elders are the best. 3pm Friday MST- that is your deadline.
BUT the good news is that THE MTC IS NOT AWFUL!!! I thought it would be but it wasn't. isn't. The teachers are generally pretty great and I like them. It is fun. The gospel is filling. Love is everything.

Keep it real and I'll probably be calling you on Monday?? ID even K yet but I'll let you know.

LOVE YOU MADLY,
Hna Simpson

No comments:

Post a Comment