Okay. I know it's been
less than a week since we emailed last, but man. Things are like, happening.
1. Because Mom, you will
probably want to know this first. I am, indeed, being transferred. To a car
area- we'll find out where tomorrow. Hna Hudson is staying here and training a
new missionary [or a baby, as she calls it.] "I thought we were going to
raise a child together," she said dejectedly after the drama of transfer
calls were over.
WHAT THIS MEANS is I will
soon have a new address. Heads up for that.
2. The freakin Estradas
said they would come to church and then bailed. THEY MISSED THE PRIMARY PROGRAM
(which went disappointingly smoothly. not enough kids in the primary/no
sunbeams. it wasn't even funny, just cute. little kids speaking spanish is the
cutest thing you've ever heard.) But really. We worked so hard with them all
week- I'm a big fan of daily contact, aka missions are just turning me into a
stalker. Heaven help the first boy I have a crush on when I get home. Oh,
you're busy? Sorry- I think our phone is cutting out, we'll be at your
house in ten minutes! That was the conversation that happened yesterday morning
at 10:20. We biked so fast. And then we had to bike to the church, so fast.
I'm kind of embarrassed at how hard it was, but tomorrow I'll be in a car
so WHATEVER. #waronobesity #we'renotwinning
3. Sometime in the next
year, a movie called "Nightcrawlers" is going to be released. It
sounds like a terrible movie, I know, right? But if anyone ever watches it,
there is a scene where a red car drives down the street and wrecks. This was
filmed just down the road from our apt complex, for the past 3 nights from 10
pm to 4 am. The studio industry really isn't that glamorous when it
happens in North Hollywood. But we're famous now, so who's complaining?
4. PACKAGES! I got TWO
this week! One from Jessica who sent me some "hipster hymns" which
warmed the flannel of my heart. And one from the Crestwood Stake YM/YW, from an
activity that none of my siblings attended. But McKayla Lindman wrote me a
sweet note and Ricky V. drew me a picture that said "fall for me."
I'll take it, Ricky.
5. But in general, things
are just going really well. I brought a copy of my call letter with me to the
mission field, which promises "Greater blessings and more happiness than
you have yet experienced await you as you serve the Lord's children in this
labor of love." Or something like that.
The point is, I thought a
lot about that promise at the beginning of my mission. I didn't know what to
make of it- besides the idea that maybe the Lord defines being happy
differently than I do. Because a lot of the time, I wasn't. But these past few
weeks have just been good. I feel pretty comfortable with everything- Spanish,
missionary life, etc. I feel like now that I have my legs under me or whatever,
I'm better able to focus on the work. So I guess it took me 6 1/2 months to get
there, and maybe that's longer than it takes other people, and maybe in the
future (heck, tomorrow) things might get really hard again. But for right now,
in this moment, I'm doing well. And I'm proud of myself for sticking it out.
Haha I still can't envision anything past Christmas, but that's okay. I'll deal
with that when it gets here. I actually am very, very happy. I really like getting
to represent Jesus Christ.
My favorite quote this
week:
"Men and women who
turn their lives over to God will discover that He can make a lot more out of
their lives than they can. He will deepen their joys, expand their vision,
quicken their minds, strengthen their muscles, lift their spirits, multiply
their blessings, increase their opportunities, comfort their souls, raise up
friends, and pour out peace. Whoever will lose his life in the service of God
will find eternal life." -Ezra Taft Benson
I like that it says
eternal life isn't something you get, but something you find. Eternal
life is now. Everything depends on the way we live it.
6. I also realized I've
been dreaming a lot lately in Spanish. Cool, huh? I didn't think that would
ever happen to me.
7. Packing is fun, but
leaving is not. Yesterday felt like an emotional volcano was filling with magma
all day long as I said goodbye to everyone in church, copied down addresses
from our ward list, packed up the note from the Rochas that one of the kids
wrote when I had the flu and they brought me dinner by surprise. This ward is
seriously the best. But then that evening we went out and taught a new
investigator a really good lesson, and it felt really good.
8. I secretly think
maybe it's a good thing I'm getting transferred because my patience is
really wearing thin with some of the grandmas in our area. There are some
grandmas I love. And then there are some who teach me patience. Just saying,
Thomas S. Monson ministered to 85 widows. We only have 2, and they are plenty
for me hahaha. I will have good stories to tell when I get home, but not write
because I'm not gonna diss them on the internet- cause you know my
mama taught me better than that.
9. On Thursday, (weekly
planning day) got a text from the Zone Leaders who live downstairs from us:
"Elder Alvarado wants to know if you have any chocolate that you can give
him to eat." Obviously. Elder Alvarado shows up shamelessly at our door,
ready to take all the chocolate we will give him. Pregnant women, the weirdest.
OKAY I KNOW THE LONGER I
AM OUT, THE MORE BORING THESE EMAILS GET BUT WHATEVS.
Excited to go win the
Hunger Games tomorrow!
<33333
Hna Simpson
P.S. We are going to get
fro-yo with Paola today so HOORAY! That is all I ever wanted to do since I got
here anyway!!! Dreams do come true.




No comments:
Post a Comment