Here is a rumor about member-missionary work.
RUMOR CHAIN:
Elder Ballard --> Pres Hall --> me
Elder Ballard said at a training this past week the way to get referrals from members is not by asking members who they know that the missionaries can visit. (Studies show that active members of the church actually have very few nonmember friends.) Instead, the way to get referrals from members is to turn those members into missionaries, so that when they are out and about they will talk about the gospel and refer people who they are acquainted with, but not best friends with. *I think Grandma is a very good example of this, talking to her haircut lady and whatnot. Keep up the great work!!*
This makes me really excited for after my mission- there are a few people in particular I used to work with in high school who I feel I should try to share the gospel with. Everybody needs it. I am curious and excited to see how much the church is going to grow over the next 5 years.
Tonight we have a lesson with a less active mom and her non-member husband who we think would be baptized if he could just get a new job that would allow him to come to church on Sun. It's a little tricky- he works at a golf course and has done this his whole life. His dad did this his whole life. So it's all he knows. This is going to be a big testimony-builder for all of us that the Lord never gives us a commandment he's not going to help us live.
But what I'm really trying to get at is-- the mom's name is Jackie. The dad's name is Fernando. What is the name of their 2-year-old daughter? JACKIFER. (I know, good thing Hna Diaz' first name isn't Lucy, right?)
This week we met Eric, who we referred over to the Eng. elders. He told us he is interested in going to church and being baptized.
"Have you ever been baptized before?"
"Uhhh... yeah... but I didn't really know what was happening. Like when I was about 12 I was at church and I thought they asked if anyone wanted Popeyes [like KFC] and so I said yes and then I was really confused when they started dressing me up. So I just kind of went along with it... but now I think it might be good if I got baptized for real."
HERE IS A GOSPEL ANALOGY FROM YOUNG VICTORIA THAT I THOUGHT OF THIS WEEK:
(Seriously though, I have been in CA for half a year now and no one has asked to put me in a movie?? I'm just as confused as you are.)
Old England. Outside. Raining. And Albert wants to marry Victoria but he's not allowed to propose-propose because she's of a higher rank than he is so she has to say it blah blah blah court rules so right before she's about to go inside instead of saying I love you he says (something like)
"I would so very much like to be of use to you."
And I think that is kind of how we say "I love you" to the Lord. We ask Him to use us and we make ourselves available to carry out his will and help Him with His work. I don't know if Jesus Christ has a love language, but if I were to guess, I would say that service would probably be up there. We show him we love Him by serving Him, and by serving our fellow man.
I think that is what the mission is making me want, more than anything... to be used by the Lord. Whenever I feel the Spirit guiding my words or my actions, I'm happy, because I know that's what Jesus Christ would want me to do. There is nothing more fulfilling that I have experienced than the feeling that I am being of use to the Lord.
LOVE LOVE LOVE
No comments:
Post a Comment