Monday, July 1, 2013

Hey Ya Hey Ya


Hey!!! Hahaha thank for for the emails today!! I love hearing about everything from everyone!! That cruise sounds so fun. Do the Elders really live in the church building?!? Hna Mulliner didn't believe it.

MISSION NEWS: our mission has now been split. We lost 74 missionaries to the Bakersfield mission, but we will have 100 new missionaries by Sept. By Sept. 10, half of the mission will have been here 12 weeks or less (so if you're doing the math, it seems like pretty much everyone who isn't a zone leader or sister training leader will be training. This stresses me out so I will say nothing more about it.)

Social Media- it will be implemented sometime in the next year, but beyond that we don't know anything about when or how it will be phased in. That is super exciting, though. Most of the people we talk to and teach don't have internet access in their homes, so that would be so cool if we had a way to show them Mormon messages, etc. I am sooo excited for the technology stuff. Facebook posting was my whole JOB last summer haha so I'm pumped.

Also, that broadcast was really a turning point for me in the sense that I feel like I am called where I am at the exact right time. I'll get to be there for the technology change and to help train this new generation of younger sisters. I get to be part of the building of a new mission culture as we phase out things that aren't exactly on purpose. I am so grateful to serve stateside where we have the ability to be a part of all these changes right away. It's just really exciting. Really though, in the whole history of the world I don't think there has ever been a better time to be a missionary. I'm so grateful I didn't go when I was 21!! haha no, but really.
Ironic that after deactivating my Facebook account at home, I will have to create a new profile as a missionary and spend time on it every day.

HOMEWORK: Everyone go to the Work of Salvation site on lds.org and read 7 Lessons on Sharing the Gospel. SO good and you will learn new things- I learned a lot of new things. Have a missionary FHE now that you're back from Alaska and talk about that talk.

MISSION STATS!
Postcards received from Alaska: 5. love you, Dad. haha those are so fun.

Things that reduced me to tears yesterday morning: Also 5. (the last one was the sight of my Phineas & Ferb gogurt in the freezer, because it so reminded me of home.)

Animal words I learned this morning- ALSO 5. A snowy owl is "lechuza blanca," so now I can talk about Harry Potter in Spanish. BAM.

Popsicles eaten this week: 20. No. exaggeration.

YEAH it is SO hot. hahaha but really. after about 7 pm it's okay... but before that it's a joke. It was in the 100s this week. It's different when nobody has air conditioning haha. A finding tool we've been using is asking people for water or to use their bathroom. My small bladder is just another tool in the hands of the Lord.

Okay, I saw on LDS newsroom that the Supreme Court made some ruling/not ruling on Prop 8? The article didn't really explain what happened- like the fed gov't just didn't want to make a decision on the definition of marriage? Someone please explain. Latinos aren't really into current events. (I would guess that the majority of our ward isn't legal, but when eating at one of the most normal families in our ward last week the election came up and they weren't quite sure who Mitt Romney was.)

Something else we're trying out this week is giving people copies of the Family: A Proclamation. We've been hanging out doing language study once a week with this lady in our building who is our new best friend- she is sooo cool, married with a 2 year-old little girl. Their home just feels SO nice and comfortable inside- for some reason, they remind me of the Billings, so I've just been thinking about them a lot lately. Send my love!

Don't have any investigators right now who are really progressing, so there's not that much to say in that dept.

Mom, so proud of you for hashtagging. Can't even believe it.
Also, thanks for sending me my one line a day journal and the scripture mastery scriptures!! I'm working on marking them in my span. scriptures. I was going to write down our daily miracles for the one line a day but it is quickly turning into the funniest thing that happened each day. I wish I would have kept up with that better. Lesson learned. But still have 4 years to go!

Also, I am going to write you a letter for your new seminary class this next year on Things I Wish I Would Have Known When I Was in Seminary. Because for real- I had 4 years of college religion classes to help me learn the scriptures, a luxury these youth won't have before they go on missions. But they are going to be prepared- the Lord is hastening THEM so they'll be ready. You are going to do so well!!

Haha and how IS Tyler doing with everything?!? That is crazy. (I would be totally freaking out.) My advice is to buy all the little scripture & language helps, cards, and inserts in the MTC. They're cheap and you may not think you need them, but I wish I would have gotten a lot more little spanishey church things at the MTC.

What are you having for lunch today? slash dinner. there is nothing about post-mission life that I look forward to more than normal small dinners hahaha. They fed us this normal lunch at the zone conference this week and we were just gushing thank you to the lady serving us. then found out 15 min later her daughter was leaving soon for a spanish-speaking mission haha. whoops. we probably freaked her out.

I hope you are all having lots of fun. Sometimes I forget that normal life is a lot more normal than it seems.
Luv and  hugs… at the conference this week we had a scary lecture on bed bugs (but don't worry; our apt is new and we love to de-clutter so for now we're safe).

<333
Hna Simpson (like "sing-song" but with a Chinese accent)

No comments:

Post a Comment