Saturday, July 27, 2013

Much better week


So first things first, this week was better. I'm out of the depths of despair.

GOOD THINGS THAT HAPPENED THIS WEEK:

Exchanges on Tues/Wed- made me realize that my Spanish is actually not terrible (though I should have practiced way more), and that transfers next week will not kill me, after all. Transfer meeting is next Tuesday so I'll have more info next week.

We found a new investigator!! We're seeing him tonight. Drinking problem, teenage daughter passed away in November. It's really sad, but we love to find people who need the gospel, because those are the people who need the gospel. Awesome. We have his daughter on the other side tag teaming with us.

We visited one of our favorite active-ish families in the ward last night, and the mom told us all about her daughter on a mission in Santa Rosa and showed us pics on facebook of the boy she could have married, and made us test her learning English app on her phone (I passed the test.) It was all just very mom- and it was so nice to spend a few minutes in a home with two parents who love each other.

Hna Mulliner's knees were killing on Wed, so we stayed in that night and I watched Mr. Krueger's Christmas. It was the only thing left to watch but you know what?!? I loved it and I did NOT think it was too cheesy or too early!
  
On Sunday, Jose Segura (investigator we've had since forever) came to church for the first time!!! He has a good friend in the ward and his 2 kids have friends, too! Milagro. They only stayed for sacrament meeting, but we'll take what we can get.

My Spanish is okay, despite my lack of diligence in speaking it in the house. I should have taken more advantage of a trainer who has really good Spanish. whoops.

My English is not okay. My vocabulary is slipping away at an alarming rate.
Today the car Hnas took us with them to Target. I HAD SO MUCH SELF-CONTROL that I bought zero clothing, but I bought a dictionary instead. Not a Spanish-to-English dictionary, just a regular one hahaha. I'm so excited!!!!! I am such a nerd.


Okay!
We just got done playing soccer with the zone.  I saw everybody pull out shinguards at first and I was all "no thanks. I think I'll just eat some potato chips and sit under this tree" but then Hna Hudson made me come play and it was soooo fun. Elder Rangel claims Utah as home, but he is also brown and very good at soccer- he was like "Dang Hna Simpson. Did you play in high school?"
I did not, Elder Rangel, but that is the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me in my entire life.
  
THESE THINGS ARE FUNNY:
Last Sunday, an old man came up to me at church. We shook hands and all he said was "Sister. You cut the hair that God gave you."
hahahahahahahahaha.
Well sir, the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

There is a rule that you can't hold quincineras in church buildings. Quincineras are a real thing, and they are not to be messed with. Quincinera dresses are halfway prom, halfway beauty pagent. The more bling, the better. Cindy's Fashion is on the corner opposite us, and they stay in business year round. So legit. Can't believe I didn't know about that when I was in Mia Maids.

Whenever someone has a birthday cake (or any other kind of cake), everyone chants "MOR-DI-DA! MOR-DI-DA" telling them to bite it. Then the person has to take a bite of it with their face before someone pushes their face in the cake. At first I did not realize this was a charming tradition, I just though a couple Elders in our district (coincidentally, the Latinos) were super rude. Then I saw a lady in our ward do this to another lady at a ward FHE... and then I understood. Already watching out for August 19th.

Sorry I tell you random cake facts instead of scriptures? 

Almost forgot! There is a new temple trip policy-- now that our mission is smaller, we get to go twice a year (like before) but ALSO during the month of your birthday!! So I get to go to the temple again next month!!! It means you have to give up your P-day, or fit it in somehow, and get a member to take you, but STILL! We can work with that.

XOXOXO  Hna Simpson

I'm at the point where I kind of forget that my name is Lauren.

No comments:

Post a Comment